The Rabbit and Tortoise Story in English
The Rabbit and Tortoise Story in English : Moral stories are a good way to teach life’s essential lessons and values to kids. A good story will build a sense of what is right or wrong. It has a paramount influence on all the kids who are reading and listening to it.
People usually get influenced by what they read. So, it is important to read or recite stories that will add value to everyone’s life. The rabbit and tortoise story is well known among kids. This short story with the moral of rabbit and tortoise depicts some important values and morals.
The Rabbit and Tortoise Story in English
Stories have always been a source of knowledge and morals for all of us. Sometimes, these stories are taken from Fairy tales and fables while sometimes they are inspired by our rich Indian cultures and traditions.
There are many books that are devoted to moral stories only. Some of them are Panchatantra, Akbar and Birbal, Bikram and Betal, and many more. No matter which mood you are in, these stories will always bring an innocent smile.
If you want to give your kids a break from screens, then telling them moral stories is a great option. By narrating stories to your kids, you will impart wisdom to them and also spend much-needed quality time with them. Thus, sharing a pleasant time with family as well as gaining wisdom and knowledge can be accomplished in a single go.
Here is the story of a rabbit and the tortoise you have been waiting for:
Story of Rabbit and Tortoise
One day a rabbit was boasting about how fast he could run. He was laughing at the turtle for being so slow. Much to the rabbit’s surprise, the turtle challenged him to a race. The rabbit thought this was a good joke and accepted the challenge. The fox was to be the umpire of the race. As the race began, the rabbit raced way ahead of the turtle, just like everyone thought.
The rabbit got to the halfway point and could not see the turtle anywhere. He was hot and tired and decided to stop and take a short nap. Even if the turtle passed him, he would be able to race to the finish line ahead of him. All this time the turtle kept walking step by step by step. He never quit no matter how hot or tired he got. He just kept going.
However, the rabbit slept longer than he had thought and woke up. He could not see the turtle anywhere! He went at full speed to the finish line but found the turtle there waiting for him.
The rabbit was very disappointed with himself while the tortoise was very happy to win the race with his slow speed. He could not believe his eyes. He was shocked by the end results.
At last, the tortoise asked the rabbit “Now who is faster”. The rabbit had learned his lesson. He could not utter a word. The tortoise said bye to the rabbit and left that place calmly and happily.
Origin of the rabbit and tortoise story
This story originated in ancient Greece. It is among Aesop’s Fables, which is a collection of stories that are being recited by elders for centuries. This story is loved by every kid. Although it has gone through many iterations with time, the essence remained almost the same.
This folk tale has been sung, recited for many years. Its footprints can also be found in Latin fables. This story has been passed down by word of mouth for many generations. Although it is a foreign fable, it is also loved by every Indian kid and adult.
What is the moral of rabbit and tortoise story?
“Failure of one time is not a failure of always, provided, one should take the lesson and correct the mistakes”
Slow and steady always wins the race. Never give up. Always keep going. Even if you are slow, your steadiness and consistency will let you win in any situation. Like the tortoise did.
Never be overconfident. Always be focused on your aim. Trying is the best we can do without expecting to win. In the long run, it’s all about trying.
Application of rabbit and tortoise story in real life
- Never give up. The chances of a turtle to win were very less. He didn’t give up until he reached the finishing line. Even though he was tired and exhausted, he did not rest. He kept on moving with his pace which led to his winning over the fast rabbit.
- Be consistent with whatever you are doing in your life. Even if you are slow, it doesn’t matter until you are consistent with what you are doing.
- Never lose Hope. If you try, you can win every race on the track or off track. Winning and losing is a secondary thing. Your efforts matter the most. The efforts will surely bring you success.
- Never be overconfident. Always be down to earth. Even if you are good at something, don’t underestimate others, as the rabbit did to the slow tortoise. Try to help others who are beneath you. Helping will always make you a better person.
- Always give your 100%. Winning is not about coming first, it’s about giving your best efforts as the tortoise did in this story.
- Never make fun of anyone. In this story, the rabbit made fun of the slow tortoise. This overconfidence led to his downfall. Eventually, he lost the race.
Read it also: The Thirsty Crow – Thirsty Crow Story in English
1 thought on “The Rabbit and Tortoise Story in English”